Portland Veterinarian ‘Thrilled’ After Saving Family’s Cat Who Swallowed Sewing Needle

A cat from Portland, Oregon is back to normal after running into a sewing needle.

This week, DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital in Portland announced that a local cat named Kevin, who is “known for his curiosity,” found himself at the vet after pawing at a sewing needle without his owners’ knowledge.

As local ABC affiliate KATU previously reported, the cat got into a child’s room where sewing materials were left.

A needle stuck in Kevin’s mouth.

Courtesy of DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital

“Quickly regretting his decision, Kevin attempted to regurgitate it, causing the needle to penetrate his hard palate and extend into his nasal cavity, resulting in immense discomfort and danger,” DoveLewis said in a press release provided to PEOPLE.

Senior Citizens Get Robot Pets to Fight Loneliness: ‘Someone Is Listening to Me Here’

Although the family didn’t realize at first that the cat’s problems were the result of the needle, they brought him to urgent care after Kevin started vomiting and had trouble swallowing. From there, they were referred to DoveLewis where it was determined that “Kevin required an oral exam under sedation to determine the source of his discomfort and the bloody saliva seen around his mouth,” according to the post.

A needle stuck in a cat's mouth

Kevin the cat at DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital.

Courtesy of DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital

“The team discovered a sewing needle in Kevin’s mouth, with the blunt end pressing against the base of his tongue,” the post continued, before explaining that the needle was then removed.

After the ordeal, Kevin “made a full recovery.”

See also  Only the real ones can find all 8 differences in 8 seconds

Tom Brady Never Thought He’d Be a Cat Dad — Now He Has 3 (Exclusive)

“Kevin’s case is an important reminder of how quickly a seemingly minor incident can turn into a critical situation,” said DoveLewis intensive care specialist Dr. Hannah Marshall. “We are so pleased that Kevin’s family entrusted us with his care and are delighted to see how quickly he has recovered.”

Categories: Trends
Source: HIS Education

Rate this post

Leave a Comment