Sheynnis Palacios is a Nicaraguan model, businesswoman, television host and social worker who made headlines in 2023 when she became the first Nicaraguan woman to win the Miss Universe crown.
Sheynnis Alondra Palacios Cornejo was born on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 in Calazo di Riamba, Nicaragua (age 23; as of 2023). Her zodiac sign is Gemini.
She completed her initial education at the La Salle School in Managua, followed by English courses at the American Nicaraguan School in Managua.
She is studying for a Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications at the University of Central America (UCA) in Managua and will complete her studies in 2022. While studying at school and college, she began participating in beauty pageants.
Height (approximately): 5′11″
Weight (approximately): 55kg
Hair color: black
Eye color: black
Body measurements (approximately): 32-26-34
She belongs to a middle-class family.
Parents and siblings
Her mother’s name is Raquel Cornejo and she is a single mother. She has a younger brother named Alex.
husband and children
She is unmarried and has no children.
Her maternal grandmother, named Silvia Cornejo, lived with Sheynnis and her family.
Her boyfriend’s name is Hanni Javier Falcon. She had two boyfriends before him.
She is a Catholic.
She has been interested in beauty pageants since she was a teenager and represented her home region of Calazo as Miss Teen Nicaragua 2016. She then made it to the top ten in the Miss Teen Universe 2017 held in Managua, Nicaragua.
On May 16, 2020, she won the 2020 Miss World Nicaragua crown on behalf of Managua, the capital of Nicaragua. She was scheduled to represent Nicaragua in the 2020 and 2021 Miss World pageants; however, those pageant performances were canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
On March 16, 2022, she won a head-to-head Fastrack challenge at the 70th Miss World competition held at the José Miguel Agrelot Arena in San Juan, Puerto Rico, entering the top 40 but Failed to advance to the top 13. She later tested positive for COVID-19 and was therefore unable to compete in the 2022 Reinado Internacional del Café.
On August 5, 2023, she became Miss Nicaragua 2023.
She also participated in many fashion shows and did many modeling photoshoots.
Miss Universe 2023
Sheynnis Palacios won the Miss Universe 2023 competition held at the Jose Adolfo Pineda Arena in San Salvador, El Salvador on November 18, 2023. Thailand’s Antonia Porsilde won the runner-up, and Australia’s Moraya Wilson won the third place.
She became the fifth Nicaraguan woman to reach the semifinals, the first Nicaraguan woman to win the Miss Universe crown, and the second Central American woman to win the Miss Universe crown after Justine Pasek of Panama in 2002. The original title holder was deposed.
When she was asked who she would choose if she had to spend a year in another woman’s life, and the reasons behind it, she chose British author, philosopher and women’s rights advocate Mary Wollstone Craft, and gives reasons why Mary opened new avenues for women. The women said,
she opens [a] The gap gives many women an opportunity.What would I do, I want that gap [to] Open so that women can work in any field they choose to work in, because there are [are] There are no restrictions for women. The year was 1750. Now in 2023, we are making history. ”
She said she was delighted to represent her country on such a grand stage and win the crown, saying:
When I heard them say Nicaragua in the background, I got goosebumps and my heart swelled and it made me so happy because I was representing not only Nicaraguan women but the entire country. “
Sheynnis Palacios also works as a TV presenter and host of the show “Understanding Your Mind”, which is related to mental health and airs on TV Red (Canal 11). She is also interested in creating content.
She has said that her goal is to become an audiovisual producer and start her own international PR company.She added that she would like to pursue a postgraduate degree in cinematography and a master’s degree in audiovisual production
Sheynnis Palacios carried out many social activities to help the poor and disadvantaged. After Nicaragua was hit by two hurricanes in November 2020, she launched a fundraising project called “United for Life” to help people affected by natural disasters by rebuilding the San Bartolo Bridge.
She also runs another program called Smile Teach, through which she raises funds for children to undergo cleft palate and cleft lip surgeries at the Smile Nicaragua operations center. Through one of her projects called Beauty with Purpose, she opened a veterinary clinic in the community of La Fuente in Managua.
Since she suffered from anxiety growing up, she has helped over 60 women with anxiety-related issues through her mental health awareness TV show, “Know Your Mind.” She has held over 100 fundraisers for her social help projects.
She partners with her mother in a food business called Buñuelos La Guadalupana.
- First Nicaraguan woman to win Miss Universe (2023)
- First Central American woman to win Miss Universe (2023)
She purchased a Nissan Sentra in November 2022.
After winning Miss Universe 2023, she received a cash prize of $250,000.
- At the age of seventeen, Sheynnis Palacios was molested in the washroom (toilet) of a restaurant in Managua. She revealed that a man tried to record her and send MMS messages on his phone.
- She is a dog lover and owns four dogs, Bruce, Brownie, Koda and Simba. She also loves other animals, such as iguanas.
- She has loved dancing since she was a child and often attended dance classes.
- Sheynnis Palacios enjoys riding horses in her free time.
- She often goes on adventure activities like sandboarding with her friends.
- She regularly works out at the gym to maintain a slim figure.
- Her favorite singer-songwriter is Louis Pastor.
- Sheynnis Palacios counts her mother, Raquel Cornejo, as her role model.
- She loves spending time at the beach.
- During the Miss Universe 2023 national costume competition, she wore a dress themed after the El Zanate bird (similar to the myna bird), which is abundant in Nicaragua. Although most people liked her outfit, some journalists and people imitated her by wearing black bags, which did not go down well with the public.
- She often attends LGBTQ+ rallies to show her support for their activities.
- Barbie doll toys are made based on her appearance.
- She played volleyball in college.
- She enjoys doing activities that stimulate her spirit, such as reading and solving puzzles.